News update on the new Abbots Lane school.
Flintshire County Council have:
- published a newsletter about the school build - view the newsletter here
- appointed a contractor, Wynne Construction
News release from FCC here
- announced a date for public consultation of the plans - 11th July 3:30 - 7:00pm at Abbots Lane
These are the key facts about the new school:
- New build Primary School to accommodate 315 Full Time Pupils and a 45 FTE place Nursery on the Abbott’s Lane site.
- Design of the school includes: Classroom for Foundation Phase and Key Stage 2; Hall and Studio facilities; community room; grassed sports field area; multi-use sports pitch; habitat and recreational areas; improved staff and visitor car parking and drop off zone for parents/carers.
- Increased staff and visitor car parking with dedicated drop off zone for parents/carers.
- Future proofed design to accommodate classrooms extensions should there an increase of learners in the area.
- Thoughtful school design to blend into the community.
We asked the Council about the traffic and access plans, they are not covered in this first newsletter, and this is what they explained was happening:
"...we are currently supporting the head on developing a revised travel plan for the school, additionally a Transport Impact Assessment (TIA) will be completed to assess the traffic impact of the new build on the area, and review impact of parking, pupil drop-off/pick up, traffic generation, access arrangements and site accessibility by sustainable methods of travel. – on the first newsletter we touch on the positives that the build brings in relation to increased car parking provision and a dedicated drop off zone for parents/carers but we don’t go into great detail with it being the first newsletter, the TIA process can be explained with further newsletters or if required a specific Q&A as we progress through the build."
You can follow the schools development team at Flintshire County Council on Twitter.